The 12 Promises of AA...
1. If we are painstaking about this phase of our
development, we will be amazed before we are
half way through. poem article
2. We are going to know a new freedom and a
new happiness. poem article
3. We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the
door on it. poem article
4. We will comprehend the word serenity and we
will know peace. poem article
5. No matter how far down the scale we have
gone, we will see how our experience can benefit
others. poem article
6. That feeling of uselessness and self-pity will
disappear. poem article
7. We will lose interest in selfish things and gain
interest in our fellows. poem article
8. Self-seeking will slip away. poem article
9. Our whole attitude and outlook upon life will
change. poem article
10. Fear of people and of economic insecurity will
leave us. poem article
11. We will intuitively know how to handle
situations which used to baffle us. poem article
12. We will suddenly realize that God is doing for
us what we could not do for oursleves. poem
The Promises and the emotions...
Whenever a 12 Step program is started we go on a path to a new life filled
with promises. The promises are what we work for and when it arrives, our
emotions can overwhelm us.
Filled with these new found emotions, we can have an ear to ear grin or we
can cry uncontrollably. We may even experience pain, maybe for the first
It's all good through because without emotions, without feelings we can not
Below is a video about the promises of the 12 Step program Emotions
Spirituality vs. Religion
While many may believe that the two are one in the same. I disagree. You can be spiritual without being religious. And you can
also be religious without being spiritual. Three quotes I've heard about the difference that I truly enjoy.
- "Religion is for people scared of going to hell, while spirituality is for people who've been in hell."
- "Religion is man's search for a God. Spirituality is God's search for a man."
- "Religion has torn the world apart. Spirituality is teaching the world to hold hands."
- "Religion is belief in someone else's experience. Spirituality is having your own experience."
The 12 Promises of ACOA
1. We will discover our real identities by loving
and accepting ourselves. poem article
2. Our self-esteem will increase as we give
ourselves approval on a daily basis. poem
3. Fear of authority figures and the need to
"people-please" will leave us. poem article
4. Our ability to share intimacy will grow inside
us. poem article
5. As we face our abandonment issues, we will
be attracted by strengths and become more
tolerant of weaknesses. poem article
6. We will enjoy feeling stable, peaceful, and
financially secure. poem article
7. We will learn how to play and have fun in our
lives. poem article
8. We will chose to love people who can love
and be responsible for themselves. poem
9. Healthy boundaries and limits will become
easier for us to set. poem article
10. Fears of failures and success will leave us,
as we intuitively make healthier choices. poem
11. With help from our ACA support group, we
will slowly release our dysfunctional
behaviors. poem article
12. Gradually, with our Higher Power's help, we
learn to expect the best and get it. poem
The 12 Promises of Debtors Anonymous
1. Where once we felt despair, we will experience a newfound hope.
2. Clarity will replace vagueness. Confidence and intuition will replace
confusion and chaos. We will live engaged lives, make decisions that best
meet our needs, and become the people we were meant to be.
3. We will live within our means, yet our means will not define us.
4. We will begin to live a prosperous life, unencumbered by fear, worry,
resentment or debt.
5. We will realize that we are enough; we will value ourselves and our
6. Isolation will give way to fellowship; faith will replace fear.
7. We will recognize that there is enough; our resources will be generous and
we will share them with others and with DA.
8. We will cease to compare ourselves to others; jealousy and envy will fade.
9. Acceptance and Gratitude will replace regret, self pity and longing.
10. We will no longer fear the truth; we will move from hiding in denial to living
11. Honesty will guide our actions towards a rich life filled with meaning and
12. We will recognize a Power Greater than ourselves as the source of our
by living with the 12 step promises